We made it through tryouts!!! There will be no cuts this season so congratulate your son on making the team!!
At this point your son should have a helmet, pads, and three jerseys. Tonight the boys should wear exactly what they have been wearing (white t-shirt and blue shorts). Starting Friday the boys will be expected to wear their pads and practice jersey. On Monday we will begin wearing football pants, pads, and practice jerseys.
HUDL - All of the players who have played during previous seasons should have the HUDL app installed on their phone or device. Anyone new to the team I have sent Coach Clegg the email address you used to register your son. When you download the app please use that email address to register. Coach Clegg has given those emails permission to access our team page. Your athlete must study every day and come to practice prepared.
Everyone will need at least one pair of practice pants and one pair of game day pants. Football pants are supposed to be white.
What to wear and bring to each practice:
Cleats (any color cleat is allowed for practice BUT black or white only for games)
White t-shirt with your name on the back in black sharpie, and blue shorts today
Friday & Saturday - shorts, helmet, pads, and practice jerseys
Monday - pads, practice jersey, helmet, white football pants, and mouth guard with strap attached to helmet
Every practice your son should have plenty of water with him.
Sneakers in a labeled bag in case of inclement weather
You will pick up your child by the practice fields (between the tennis courts and softball field).
YOU MUST PARK - PLEASE DO NOT STOP TRAFFIC TO LET YOUR CHILD IN/OUT OF YOUR CAR
August 10th: Mandatory Campus Cleanup around 8am for 1-2 hours (Parents will be doing this since the boys have a scrimmage that day). At least one parent must attend the campus cleanup.
August 10th: First Scrimmage - If your son has not had the required amount of hemet and pad time he will not be eligible to play in the scrimmage. Please be sure they attend all practices or they will have to make up their hours before being allowed to play.
August 25th: Team Pictures
Posted schedule: Visit your football home page for the schedule. Please remember, we have limited practice space and share with Varsity, JV, 8th, 7th, and 6th grades. There will be times that the posted schedule will need to be revised. We ask that you understand that it is a working document in progress. The website is proving to be difficult to navigate. Please use the links below for our football home pages. Bookmark it in your browser for future easy access!
Concussion Testing: Any athlete under 12 will not need to have an electronic baseline concussion test. Once we roster the teams we will send out information to those that will still need to complete the test based on age. If you have already taken the test, I will keep that in your file for future use! For those who have not had concussion testing please look for an email from me with instructions on how to conduct the test today.
GroupMe: Please email me if you would like to be added to the 8th grade GroupMe group. This will be how we communicate last minute messages such as early pick-up due to inclement weather. Give me the name and cell number of each person who you want to receive these text messages. If you have it on your phone from previous seasons it should be still be active. If you are new to the team please be sure to email me all the names and numbers you would like added. GroupMe is for important last minute information and reminders only. You may click the heart icon to show you read it but please do not respond to messages sent. You can send direct message to individual members through the system.
In two short weeks we will officially begin our MRMS Football season beginning Monday, July 22nd. Please make note of all of the important information contained in this email. All deadlines will be strictly followed.
1. In order to be eligible to try out, you must register your athlete for 6th, 7th or 8th grade football (late fee of $200 will be assessed as of July 13th). Please follow this link to register your athlete:
You will not pay the sports participation fee until the team is rostered after tryouts are complete.
2. TRYOUT INFORMATION:
On Monday July 22nd ONLY arrive at:
6th – 4:45pm (pick up at 7pm)
7th – 6:00pm (pick up at 8:30pm)
8th - 6:20pm (pick up at 8:30pm)
• On July 22nd we will meet at the equipment room (right side of school at the bus lot doors). Please stop at the registration table to turn in required forms (mentioned below) and obtain helmet. All other days we will meet at the practice fields in front of the middle school.
• Please wear a white t-shirt with your last name written in Black Sharpie marker on the back, Blue P.E. shorts (new athletes and rising 6th – black or blue athletic shorts), White or Black cleats, mouthpiece, and bring a pair of sneakers in case of inclement weather. If you have your own helmet, please bring with you each day. Please bring PLENTY of water!!!
• If you were not on one of the MRMS football teams last year, please BRING WITH YOU a copy of your athlete’s birth certificate.
• EVERYONE must also bring a signed copy of the Student-Athlete Expectations. I have attached that to this email.
• Please continue to follow the posted schedule for the rest of tryout week.
3. Posted schedule: Visit your football home page for the schedule. Please remember, we have limited practice space and share with Varsity, JV, 8th, 7th, and 6th grades. There will be times that the posted schedule will need to be revised. We ask that you understand that it is a working document in progress.
4. The website is proving to be difficult to navigate. Please use the links below for our football home pages. Bookmark it in your browser for future easy access!
5. Weigh-ins will be held at MRMS on August 9th at 5:30pm (arrive at 5p). Everyone will not need to attend, but please mark your calendars until the Coaches have time to assess their teams.
6. Team Pictures will be held on Sunday, August 25th. Time TBD. Please mark your calendars.
7. Any athlete under 12 will not need to have an electronic baseline concussion test. Once we roster the teams we will send out information to those that will still need to complete the test based on age. If you have already taken the test, I will keep that in your file for future use!
8. Your team moms will be your best person to go to should you have any questions throughout the season.
9. Lastly but certainly not least……. I want Thank all of our Coaches as they volunteer their time to train our kids. This is a HUGE commitment!!!!! Many of our MRMS Coaching staff also coach Varsity and JV!!! All of them also hold full time jobs and have family! Please Thank them when you can!!!!
I know this was a lot of information! If you have any questions please feel free to call or email me anytime.
MRMS Football Team Manager
Marvin Ridge Middle School
2831 Crane Rd.
Waxhaw, NC 28173
Directions to Marvin Ridge Middle School
MRMS Football Team Manager